Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Judgement Day: Effective Ad? Direct TV 2010


This will be the first in a series of what I hope will become conversations about the effectiveness of ads. I will layout a series of questions to be answered, answer them with my opinions, and I hope you'll do so with yours, too. But first...

TO THE COMMERCIALS!

This is an ad campaign that ran in 2010 for Direct TV. The last time I saw it was in the early summer of 2011, and I still hope to see it when I'm watching TV now. Gosh, I really liked this series.

"Opulence, I has it." 



 














Tee hee. I love this commercial. I don't know why, really, either. The guy's accent, his non-chalant attitude, the mini-giraffe, and the goofy laugh at the end. The poor grammar skills. I can't get enough.



It's also visual pleasing. The gold colors, the matching wardrobes, the couch. And come on, who doesn't love gold?




"I am epic win."



Freaking hilarious. All our old friends are back! The hot Russian ladies, the micro-giraffe, and now a new friend, Boris, with whom our hero works out, straining in the background.

This guy, though, works out sitting down attached to electrodes. He exudes a nerdy cool that you just know makes him a Bond villain on his day off. And that little giraffe running on that damned tiny treadmill. This is definitely, "epic win," as he says.



Questions:

1- Is it clear what is being advertised?
  • No, I don't think so. I was personally so memerized by that micro-giraffe and the guy's accent that I couldn't have told you what company that was for if you'd held a gun to my head. They're watching TV in the commercial, but that doesn't mean I knew that TV service was being advertised.

2- Is the commercial memorable? If so, will the viewer remember the commercial itself, or the product?
  • Yes, absolutely. Definitely memorable. When I was thinking about this blog post, I couldn't remember what they were advertising, so I typed, "Tiny Giraffe" into Google. That's pretty telling.

3- Are you inclined to make a purchase with this company/service/good after this commercial?
  • I think not. 

Verdict: 
  • Ineffective. 


1 comment:

  1. I agree. I really enjoy the commercials -- they're a festival of incongruity, but I couldn't have told you what they were advertising. Kind of a shame, really. All that originality and deft direction and special effects, and they didn't accomplish their main purpose.

    ReplyDelete