Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Power of Suggestion

Advertising.When done well, it makes for a powerful force in every civilization. Don't believe me?

 
The wheel. Now there's some fine ingenuity. Practicality aside, the fella or gal who invented it had to advertise it in some way. Even if it was a simple few sentences, all the cavemen stood around the new cart/dragging thing/stone mover and oo'ed and aah'ed whilst the proud inventor touted its features.

Inventor: See? New round thing. Make cart go fast down hill. No more carry stone. No more carry stick. No more carry carcass. Go fast to far place.

Assembled Cavemen: Oooh! Aahhh!
Obviously we've come a little farther than old Grog and his new machine. Advertising not only promotes a product or convinces the masses to order a pizza during Monday Night Football, advertising can invoke feelings, incite new thinking, or trumpet a call to action. Here are some interesting ads that struck a chord with me (some old, some new) and got my attention either one way or another. Please view them and let me know what you think!


Inspiration!

We're just past the tenth anniversary of September 11th and I was recently reminded of all the plain "good will toward all" advertising in the wake of the devastating attacks. It wasn't to make sales, it was to boost morale and remind people that to honor the fall we must continue to live. Here are a few examples of the ones that really struck me. 

United Airlines:

Monday, September 10.
On Monday, a hose in my sink broke just when I needed to rush out the door, and I thought life was being unfair.
On Monday, when you asked people how they were doing, without much thought, or much contemplation, they replied “fine” or “good”.
On Monday, the papers and the news magazines were filled with stories about the new fall TV schedule.
On Monday, there were not many people in the religious section at the bookstore.
On Monday, the American flag hung, for the most part, unnoticed at government buildings and at schools.
On Monday, we passed strangers without much regard.

On Tuesday, September 11, all that changed.
On Tuesday, September 11, different things seemed important.
On Tuesday, September 11, blissful naiveté was lost.
Sanctity was mercilessly shaken.
On Tuesday, September 11, somebody tried to take America apart.
On Tuesday, September 11, America came together.
On Tuesday, there were no Republicans, Democrats, yuppies, blue collars or any other labels. There were only Americans.
On Tuesday, September 11, strangers died for each other.
On Tuesday, September 11, the best of the human spirit spit back into the eye of the worst.
On Tuesday, September 11, America was knocked to its knees.
On Tuesday, September 11, America got back up again.

We’d like to acknowledged the bravery and selflessness of the rescue workers, medical [can’t read it, my copy is damaged] and extraordinary citizens of this country. Your acts of heroism and compassion have [can’t read it] all our hearts. We’d also like to thank our employees for their [caring?] and professionalism in the wake of last week’s horrible tragedy. We join you in mourning. As we join you in strength.”

Even today, I still get a lump in my throat when I read that United ad. It's really well done. When it ran, it was a one page ad in the New York Times, centered on a plain newsprint-colored background. It didn't even take the whole page, but it was so breathtaking. I tried to find a picture, and if I stumble across one later on I'll add it.

 Budweiser:






Budweiser ran this campaign to offer its condolences to the city of New York and all the victims. 



Controversy!

Recently there was some controversy over an ad run in Esquire magazine. After a reading saw it, she wrote in saying she found it offensive and racist. Here's the ad. The ad says, Look Like You Give a Damn. Racist? Offensive? Or just honest? You decide:


The world of advertising is a fascinating one, don't you think? I know I do. I hope you'll join me. I'll do my level best to post each week with a new topic and some great ads. Please feel free to comment or suggest ads you think I should talk about!

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment